What is surgical orthodontics?
Surgical orthodontics, also known as orthognathic surgery, is used to correct a jaw problem that is interfering with your ability to do one of the following:
Additionally, a jaw issue might change the way your facial features look. This can lower self esteem and be problematic for your everyday life. Our team of orthodontic and oral surgeons at Amazing Smiles Orthodontics are trained and experienced with all kinds of jaw pain and jaw defects. We can help you determine the best course of action for surgically repairing your jaw and overcoming any speech, chewing, or breathing issues you’re experiencing.
Why is surgical orthodontics used?
We may recommend surgical orthodontic treatment if you:
- Have a jaw abnormality/deformity
- Have an improper bite
- Are past the age of jaw growth (usually 16 for girls and 18 for boys)
- Are unhappy with the appearance of your jaw
- While our patients must wait until they are past the age of jaw growth for a surgical procedure, some of the pre-surgical corrections, like tooth movement, can be done up to two years prior to the actual surgery.
What does orthodontic surgery involve?
Orthodontic surgery may require the use of braces prior to the procedure. In these cases, your orthodontic treatment may take anywhere from 6-18 months. After your braces phase is complete, you may feel like your jaw is in an uncomfortable position, but after the surgery your bite will be in the correct position and should feel comfortable.
Your surgery is performed by one of our experienced oral surgeons at Amazing Smiles. You are completely sedated during the procedure and will not feel any discomfort. You may need to stay overnight following the procedure so your doctor can monitor your recovery.
You’ll be able to return to school or work a couple weeks after your surgery and the full recovery process should be complete within 4-8 weeks. Then, your doctor will remove braces and fit you with a retainer to maintain your bright new smile.
What are the benefits of having orthodontic surgery?
Entrusting our experienced orthodontic surgeons with improving your bite and smile using orthodontic surgery can offer you the following benefits:
- Short recovery period of about 4-8 weeks
- Corrected bite
- Improved appearance of smile
- Improved speech, breathing, and chewing
- Performed by oral surgery experts with years of experience correcting jaw problems