What is TMJ / TMD?
Millions of people throughout the United States suffer from chronic pain in the neck, jaw, and face due to a condition called temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder (TMD). This disorder is characterized by chronic pain in the joint due to overuse, which could also cause chronic headaches. The TMJ muscles are used for speaking, chewing, swallowing, and yawning, and might also be overused at night in those who grind their teeth. At Amazing Smiles Orthodontics, we specialize in treating all conditions affecting the teeth, jaw, and the surrounding structures. We offer compassionate, personalized care to help you overcome TMJ pain and get back to smiling pain-free.
What causes TMJ disorders?
Most commonly, a TMJ disorder is the result of one of the following:
- Wear and tear of the joint over time (arthritis)
- Joint damage due to prior injury/blow to the face
- Jaw is misalignment
What are the symptoms of TMJ/TMD?
Visit one of our orthodontists at Amazing Smiles for an evaluation of your jaw and teeth if you suspect a TMJ problem, temporomandibular joint dysfunction, or notice any of the following TMD symptoms:
- Jaw pain
- Aching jaw
- Ear pain
- Clicking when opening mouth or moving jaw
- Headaches/neck aches
- Jaw muscle spasms
- Facial swelling
- Lockjaw/inability to open mouth
- Bottom and top teeth misalignment
- Ringing or stuffiness in ears
How is TMJ/TMD treated?
If you notice signs of TMD, our doctors can help you determine what treatment will be most appropriate for you. Some of the ways you can avoid TMJ pain include:
- Chewing on both sides of your mouth
- Avoiding holding phone with neck and shoulder
- Relaxing your facial muscles
- Avoiding gum chewing
- Avoiding tooth grinding
- Avoiding resting your chin on your hand
- Sitting with good posture
When needed, we can provide TMJ orthodontic treatment options to reduce TMJ pain and overcome TMD by correcting an underlying jaw alignment problem. Your options may include using one of the following to correctly realign the jaw: