What are retainers?
A retainer is a small plastic mouthpiece that is used to hold your teeth in their position after they have been shifted. Orthodontists use retainers after other treatments have positioned your teeth correctly and need to be held in place while the roots of your teeth adapt to their new position. Often, retainers will only need to be worn for a short period of time or only at night to ensure your teeth don’t shift over time. Retainers may be called dental retainers, teeth retainers, orthodontic retainers, and may be permanent retainers or temporary retainers. At Amazing Smiles Orthodontics, we take the time to create custom retainers for you that are designed to fit your teeth and mouth precisely and comfortably.
Why are retainers used?
A retainer could be used to address any of the below orthodontic issues:
- Slight shifts in teeth after braces or other appliances are removed
- Gaps in teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Teeth grinding (TMJ)
What does getting a retainer involve?
At Amazing Smiles, we do all of the hard work for you. All you’ll need to do is come in for your appointment to have your retainer fitted and customized to your bite. We listen to our patients when they give feedback about how the retainer fits and make every necessary adjustment to ensure you’re completely comfortable with the new retainer before you leave our office.
Here’s some advice from the pros at Amazing Smiles to remember when wearing your retainer:
- Wear your retainer all the time unless we give you other instructions.
- You might have initial trouble speaking when you first start wearing your retainer. Practice talking out loud to help you get used to the new retainer more quickly.
- Clean your retainers every day with a toothbrush and warm water.
- Never eat with your retainer, and be sure to put it into its case whenever it is out of your mouth.
- Be careful with your retainer, as they can break easily. Call us at Amazing Smiles if your retainer chips, cracks, or breaks.
- Always bring your retainers with you to your orthodontic appointments.
What are the benefits of using a retainer?
Some of the many benefits of choosing to use a retainer created by our specialists at Amazing Smiles include the following:
- Maintains the structure of your teeth over time
- Can be removed as necessary
- Easy to wear
- Custom-created and fit your exact teeth and bite
- Not as bulky or noticeable as other treatments
To learn more about retainers, speak with one of our providers at Amazing Smiles. For over thirty years, our practice has provided the highest quality of affordable dental care to patients in Forest Hills, Brooklyn, Long Island, and the surrounding areas. We are the go-to specialists for orthodontic care, recommended by dentists all over the New York City area. Call us today at 718-275-3200 or schedule an appointment using this form.